I’ve been working on a new screenplay. As I’m going through the process, I’ve also been watching some very passionate muscians perform. It’s amazing to me how some people can expose themselves through writing a lyric, or through a performance. First they’ve found a way to find out who they are. Their writing or performance mirrors their true self.
Second, they have found a way to get that out from inside their body and mind, and written or performed it.
As I write this screenplay, I continue to break down the walls that I have allowed to be built around me. Maybe the walls are their to hide from bullies, fear of failiure, or trying to be someone I’m not. I do believe sometimes we are unaware of the walls that we’ve built.
I do believe that as an artist that I must continue to push myself until I am as vulnerable as I possible can be. Once I can go to places that are currently blocked, then and only then will I be able to tap into my true self.
I met some great people, and I got very attached to them. I miss them so much.
It is nice to go to a place and just fit right in. I felt like I was at home in this little town of West Point, Mississippi, and I left a piece of my heart there. The button that I got from the producers was perfect. I have it pinned to my purse which is always close to me, just like you will be people of West Point, MS.
For the past couple of weeks, I was back on a movie set for the the filming of The Atoning by Michael Williams. It was a blast.
Photo by Laura Cavett
When I work on movies, I get totally lost in the world and it becomes my “new life” for awhile. The people I work with become part of my family forever. You spend so much time with others in this world in such a short time, you feel like you have known them forever. I love meeting and working alongside creative people. It ignites a the creative fire that is in the artist belly that needs ignited daily. This set was no different. I met and worked alongside some wonderful people. A lot of times, you get lost and reality becomes a blur because all your doing is working, eating, sleeping.
On this last movie, I worked as the Priduction Designer. The production designer helps take the directors vision and make it come to life through the set, props, wardrobe and sometimes special effects. It is a non stop Job, and utterly exhausting, but it is so rewarding and fun. The production team on this shoot worked amazingly well together.My favorite part is learning new things. It never fails that this happens because every movie you work on is different. For example, this shoot, I learned how to paint certain objects, do some tricks that I can’t speak of, and this shoot took continuity in my mind to a whole new level.
Let’s not forget craft services.
Working on a movie set can be fun, but it is also a lot of work. So many people that start out wanting to be in that environment don’t understand how things work. Here are a list of things you need to be if you are going to work on a movie set.
- Team Player- You must be able to work well with others and not just promote yourself. Don’t be dramatic- No one wants to work with someone who is always causing drama. Don’t be full of yourself.
- Hard Worker- You need to be constantly working on something. Until the director yells that’s a wrap.
- Flexible- Movie work is spread out over a period of time. So to do this as a job, you have to be available when you are needed.
- Be on time- The production will not wait on you. If you are late, someone else might be taking over your job.
- Don’t be a complainer- Be happy you get the opportunity to do the job you have been ask to do. Whether you are the star of the project, or a Production Assistant, count yourself fortunate to be involved. Don’t walk around talking about how tired you are. Everyone will be tired.
- If you are going to be over a department, be organized, and take pictures of everything.
Following these rules will help you keep getting work. There are no small jobs. Everyone is very important.
Hard to keep up with the tech app surge that has happened in recent months. Pokemon Go, Instagram Stories, Facebook Marketplace etc. New apps, updated old apps. When you realize that you can use these apps to market yourself or a business all over the world. It can become overwhelming, time consuming What is one to do?
According to this article on Tech Crunch more are on the way. It’s a fast pace tech world we live in. I myself was peer pressured by my kids to download Pokemon Go.
However, I secretly think that the app is not a bad idea. Here is why.
- It gets kids outside with their friends again. My college age daughter told me her friends now call each other and meet each other to hunt Pokemon.
- Being a nerd is finally cool. Let’ s face it, Collecting Pokemon card may not have been popular thing when they first came out. Learning all the data for the cards, going to bookstores to Pokemon groups, but all of that knowledge is now going to pay off.
- It is a great form of exercise, if you actually use it correctly. You could walk for miles in a day looking for these darn things.
- It is keeping me in my college kids lives. When she came home for a visit recently, she asked me to go hunt Pokemon with her.
Say what you will, but things are about to change the way we do things after someone with more brain power than I have figures out how to use this kind of app.
What app is the next big thing?
While doing improv one night several years ago, I came up with this sketch about a disappointing birthday. I ended up filming it in 2013. It became known as
The Birthday Party!
I had so much fun working on this project from start to finish. The beauty about this fun shoot was the ending changed on set. It was a beautiful process with a great cast, and crew. It was shot at a local studio in Huntsville called Hollywood Huntsville. Here are some More screen shots.